My Two Cents

Sunday, December 03, 2006

On the Banks


I have never been much of a college football fan.

Sure, I've glanced casually at big games over the years, National Championship tilts and whatnot, but I've always found college football too sloppy, lacking in any real excitement without a playoff system, and too many damn teams to follow.

And It's not like I have an alma mater to root for. I went to Kean and even covered the Cougars football team for six years. And let me tell you; I found taking a shit more exciting than Kean football.

I mean, who wants to watch a Division III team? Especially one that has always sucked.

This has changed for me the last couple of months.

What Rutgers has done this season has been amazing.

Last season's bowl appearance did nothing for me. As far as I was concerned, Rutgers football was still the punchline to a joke. And even as this season started, and Rutgers started winning every week, I was still a skeptic, needling those of friends who were Rutgers fans and mocking the Scarlet Knights ascent up the Top 25.

But I was forced to pay attention. How could I not? I have a lot of friends, including a roommate in Todd A, that are Rutgers fans, and working at the Courier News and living 10 minutes from the RU campus, Scarlet Fever was everywhere (I'm sure that term's been used before, but if not, consider this a copyright).

When RU beat Pitt, I began to think differently. Was Schiano's squad legit? Does Rutgers actually belong in the Top 25?

Then Rutgers began winning me money, like when I bet them to win over Louisville. I was starting to actually enjoy watching college football (including Ohio State, thanks to Jersey Girl).

I thoroughly enjoyed tonight's game with West Virginia. I was genuinely into it, rooting for RU and I didn't even have money on the game!

I felt the triple overtime loss, almost like I was watching the Jets, as I felt that familiar sickening feeling in my stomach as that pass bounced away from Ray Rice in the end zone.

Now, I'm big on Jersey pride, as those of you who have moved out of state and been forced to absorb my constant ripping know. I now feel a sense of pride in one of its sports teams, as well (I am not a Devils fan, and though I consider myself a Nets fan, I can't stand the NBA).

So here's to Greg Schiano and the Scarlet Knights. Here's to Ray Rice and Brian Leonard. Here's to Jeremy "The Judge" Ito and all the RU players, especially those who played high school ball in NJ. Here's to Devraun Thompson, who I had a few chances to cover when he played for Piscataway HS, and had a huge interception tonight.

College Football is still too sloppy and in desperate need of a playoff system. But now that I feel some kinship with the team up the road, I kind of see what all the fuss is about.

Rah, Rah, Rutgers, Rah!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go smoke a doob and watch a Kevin Smith movie.

3 Comments:

  • Here here.

    By Blogger Bich, at 12/03/2006 1:00 PM  

  • Will wonders never cease...

    By Blogger jersey girl, at 12/05/2006 2:44 AM  

  • Cat,

    Dropping a batch can indeed be exciting ... especially if you crap big enough to burst the pipes of the Amtrak railcar you are riding in, the car then floods and the entire "Sunset Limited" is forced to stop for repairs outside El Paso.

    I digress.

    Welcome to the excitement of college sports. I believe it is more exciting than the pros because of the fact the schools are so heavily intertwined in their communities and states.

    It is understandable that you have not seen this yet, because of the fact Rutgers has been a farce for so long.

    But the schools never threaten to leave town unless you give them a better deal.

    Plus, college sports are much more steeped in tradition than the pros -- the dotting of the I in Script Ohio comes to mind.

    You just don't get things like that in the slickly marketed pro games.

    By Blogger Pete, at 12/11/2006 9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home