My Two Cents

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Counting My Chickens



I am not the kind of baseball fan that gets all excited in June.

I am a pessimist by nature, and being a fan of the New York Mets, as well as the New York Jets of the NFL, I know heartache; I know blueballs and I know what it's like to be cockteased.

That said, something feels different about the 2006 Mets.

I received an email from Joe Pendleton last Sunday, as the Mets were getting ready to embark on a 10-game road trip to Los Angeles, Arizona and Philadelphia.

"Cat," he wrote. "We gotta go at least 5-5 on this road trip."

He preceded to break down the next 10 games, figuring the Mets would lose 2-of-3 in LA, split four with the Diamondbacks, and take 2-of-3 from Phili -- though, he noted, a series victory over the Dodgers and losing two to the Phillies was possible. He the went through the rest of June's schedule, and the first two weeks of July, projecting 52 victories by the All Star break as a good, attainable goal. That would put them on pace for about 95 victories, which should be enough to win the NL East.

And I agreed, not only with his 52-game summit, but his view of the West-Coast, Phili swing.

As I sit here waiting out a rain delay this afternoon, in this, the final game of the aforementioned road jaunt, I am all smiles.

The Mets scored runs in the first inning for the eighth straight contest, and now lead 4-2 in the third inning. If they win today, they will have wrapped up the trip 9-1 and will have a record of 42-23.

That means, in order to reach Joe P's goal, the Mets only have to go 10-13 between now and the break.

I count 100+ chickens.

7 Comments:

  • Just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in.

    I'll admit it. I'm excited about this team.

    By Blogger jersey girl, at 6/15/2006 5:15 PM  

  • Last time Mets won 94 games was in 2000, right? Hey....refresh my memory, please....what happened to them in that postseason?

    By Blogger Todd Cohen, at 6/15/2006 11:30 PM  

  • Hey Todd, who took 2 of 3 from whom three weeks ago? Refresh my memory.


    Todd, your response is the reason everyone hates Yankee fans.

    Here we are getting pumped up about our team and you have to chime in.

    It's funny, Yankee fans always act as if the Mets are this insignificant gnat they have to deal with, but the first time the Mets start playing well, the Yank fans go into the 26 World Championship crap.

    That - and many other reasons - is why Yankee fans are hated.

    Please, Todd, you're team has enough stuff to worry about (Gay-Rod, The Mitchell Investigation, Jason Grimsley). We'll worry about our team.

    By the way, Todd. Lou Gehrig was No. 4.

    By Blogger Joependleton, at 6/16/2006 1:13 AM  

  • Joe Pendleton,

    I could have substituted in your sentence "Colorado Buffaloes" for "Yankees" and "Colorado State" for "Mets" and you get a good feel for the vominous Buff fans.

    Always acting like CSU is an insignificant gnat, but paying them way too much attention.

    Anyway, I digress.

    The Mets. They've got the teamwork. To make the dream work. Let's go... let's go Mets.

    There's no stopping us now. We're gonna do it agaaaain. It's not a matter of how. It's just a question of when.

    I'm pumped.

    By Blogger Pete, at 6/16/2006 10:16 AM  

  • How do I block Todd from commenting on baseball-related posts?

    By Blogger SJPSandman, at 6/16/2006 12:33 PM  

  • SANDMAN:
    Break his fingers while he sleeps or throw his computer out the window.

    Either one would do the trick.

    By Blogger Joependleton, at 6/17/2006 1:30 AM  

  • Look at the anger! What happened between the Mets and Yanks when it mattered most? That's the bottom line.

    Don't get me wrong, the Mets are having a great season and they won 2 of 3 in the regular season. But who really cares about 2 out of 162 games?

    Mets have been a joke for so many years...even the sun shines on a dog's ass someday.

    I love how everyone gets off on mocking ARod and Jeter (4 rings). The team is still one of the best in the league and they play in a MUCH tougher division than your squad.

    With little playoff experience, you're not winning the World Series with that squad.

    Can't wait to see them get swept by the NL Central representative in the playoffs.

    By Blogger Todd Cohen, at 6/17/2006 10:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home